Saturday 30 December 2017

Out & About: The First of Liz's Two-Part Look Back Over Her Hectic 2017




Battle of Nantwich
It's that time again of the year... my two-part special looking back at my highlights of 2017.

January always starts with the Battle of Nantwich, an event for which I have been on the committee for five years. This year I have taken on the role as Chairperson following in the footsteps of the fabulous Keith Cafferty. Last year, as every year, the Battle was fought on Mill Island between the Parliamentarians and Royalists. If you don't know who won then be sure to come and support the event between 10am and 3pm on Saturday 27th January. 

We are doing a recruitment drive for volunteers so if you would like to help, please sign up to our Volunteers Briefing on Wednesday 10 January at Nantwich Museum.

February was the month I braved the slopes and experienced skiing for the first time. I can think of other ways I would prefer to spend my hard-earned holiday time, but with my other-half being a very serious (if not slightly kamikaze) skier, I felt I owed it to him to have a go!

March saw the first of my Kilimanjaro training walks up a very dank and dismal Snowdon but it gave me a good opportunity to meet some of my fellow walkers and determine my baseline level of fitness!

April is when my calendar entries begin to multiply like rabbits, beginning with the Nantwich Show Luncheon and the annual RedShift Quiz which this year raised £600 for our #ClimbKili2017 fund. 


Donkeys at St Mary's, Nantwich
We took donkeys Betty and Anne to St Mary's Church for the Palm Sunday service and we always enjoy the Bluebell Walk at Combermere Abbey


Beans, Berries & Beer Festival
New this year was the Beans Berries and Beer festival at the Crewe Heritage Centre hosted by the super team at Offbeat Brewery.

Our Spring Community Expo, sponsored and hosted by Rookery Hall, was the best one yet and featured an interactive demo by our resident Science Ambassador Chris Ridge from Air Products who hosts The Big Bang Query - a unique show on RedShift Radio all about STEM (Science Technology, Engineering & Maths). We are delighted to be heading back to Rookery Hall in April 2018 and are taking bookings for exhibitors and sponsors now.

Highlights for May would have to be the hilarious Spamalot at Crewe Lyceum featuring past and present RedShifters Chris Ridge, Adam Goode and Ben Stubbs. We also hosted our first Hustings event which was attended by over 100 people, all keen to hear what the local political candidates had to say about why we should vote for them.

Also in May, the #ClimbKili2017 training continued with a Zumbathon organised by walker Lydia Sharkey and led by ex-RedShifter Sharon Burrows. I can safely say I tried my best, but in the words of my sister “our Southall bottoms are not made for this wiggling malarkey!”

Cry for Ceri Abigail
With the RedShift RoadShow out at Middlewich Makers Market, the Young Farmers Rally at Reaseheath, a tea dance for the over 70s in Alsager, we certainly covered a few miles! I also attended a super fashion show in aid of CRY for Ceri Abigail and my nephew's first Communion which was just lovely.

We began June with a great event that I am hopeful to make an annual affair – Whose Wine is it Anyway?, hosted by Rodney Densem Wines at Residence in Nantwich. We has a great time and raised over £600 for our #ClimbKili2017 target. Speaking of which, a second walk up Snowdon saw a distinct improvement in my fitness (and the weather) from just a few weeks before.

Fig Pie Rolling
Fig Pie Rolling, the Middlewich FAB Festival Dance Display and Nantwich Town Sports saw the PA kit in and out of the RedShift van and frequent checks of the weather forecast. The Cheshire Show, Gin Tasting at Dorfold Hall, Lightning Seeds at the FAB Festival and celebrating presenter Paul Boniface's 65th birthday meant there was plenty of social activities going on too!

June was however a sad month at RedShift as we said goodbye to a very dear friend and volunteer, Vic Harris who sadly passed away. Vic had presented our Rotary RoundUp show and really was one of life's good eggs and we all miss him greatly.

July was equally busy so I will pause there and save that for next week.

All that's left for me to say in my final Out and About of 2017 is a BIG THANK YOU to all the RedShift followers, listeners and friends who have been part of our journey this year and special thanks to everyone who has taken the time to tell me they enjoy my weekly ramblings here, hopefully there will be plenty more next year!

This article appeared in Crewe Chronicle on 27th December 2017.  Please look out for my "Out and About" page each week in the Crewe Chronicle. For more information about any of the items in this article, please email us here at RedShift or call us on 01270 440 750. 

No comments:

Post a Comment